Movement As Action: Creating Community

A Workshop: To bring together people of varying backgrounds to generate collective creativity as performative and social action.

As social beings, we are constantly moving together with people through space. What happens when this movement is shaped consciously? Does it become (social) action? What happens when we consider or define "community" as an attitude, rather than a demographic?

本工作坊的目的,在於集合來自不同背景的人,
來完成一個具有表演性與社會行動的集體創作。

存在於社會的我們總是與它人在空間中互動。
這種流動是有意識的被塑造出來時,是怎麼一回事?
它是一種社會行動嗎?
當我們將「社群」定義為是一種態度,
而不是人口群體時,那又會是什麼狀態呢?


Wednesday, March 25, 2009

大家好,我是Sky

上次的聚會中,其中一個遊戲,是跟你的夥伴站在線的對面,一直互相看著對方的眼睛,然後前近或後退,依你內心所想。

我覺得這個遊戲好像是我日常生活的印像,當然我不會無時無刻都看著對方的眼,但總是有時後你會放心思在某個人身上,介由言語的內容跟聲音還有距離,沒有很大的肢體的接觸,這些訊息不斷的影響我對那個人的言語內容跟聲音還有距離,可能他的疏遠並不會也立刻也跟著疏遠,也不是刻意要顯得自己不在意,但不知不覺就會那樣做,有時後是會立即也疏遠,但我發覺我很少去強烈的拉近彼此的距離,在現實裡。

我喜歡這個遊戲的寧靜,一直看著對方的眼,平常似乎不會那麼自然的看著別人的眼睛加不講話,可是玩這個遊戲感覺很寧靜自然。

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sky, I was also really moved by the exercise that you mentioned! Despite the fact that out of all of our exercises, this one involved the least movement, with no room for creativity or any pressure to innovate, I feel like I learned the most about myself from this simple "walk forward/backward" score.

    At first, it was really difficult for me not to take my partner's advances or retreats personally, as a sort of rejection or acceptance. After a while, though, I learned to observe my reactions to her choices, and she became a sort of representative of any person that I might encounter in life. This painful but exciting process worked because we were nearly strangers, I think.

    Overall, it's been fascinating for me to watch how as a group, we can go from being strangers one moment to playful, creative collaborators the next. I've noticed how when SheenRu asks us to look into each other's eyes, we can become uncomfortable, while sometimes, it seems much easier to improvise physically with each other, even if this involves weight bearing or physical contact. What could we say about humanity and the means through which we interact more easily from this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also want to add that the chanting and rhythm work we did last time was fantastic! There was something so freeing and wonderful about using our voices and bodies to find rhythms and to voice our creativity at the same time!

    The other weekend, I went to 花連, and had the chance to jam in a drum circle for the first time. I can't even say how freeing it was to find my own rhythm within the groups, with the waves crashing in the background and everyone doing what came to them, instead of having a more skilled percussionist directing everyone else.

    I noticed after that, during the 3rd week when we drew our pictures, I didn't have to think and plan what I was going to draw before I actually drew it. My fingers just manifested what my heart felt instead. I think that if all of us can walk away with a little of that in our bodies and minds, that freedom to express ourselves without worrying about how we look to others, or whether we're dancing on the beat of the music, etc, then this workshop will have been a tremendous success :) Thanks SheenRu ^^

    ReplyDelete